In this edition of Reader’s Question Answered we’re going to be tackling the question: “What is VPN on iPhone”?
Before we jump into the answer too deep I want to make sure that you know what an VPN is first and why you should be using a VPN at home and especially when you’re using public WiFi.
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and a VPN is defined by Wikipedia as:
“a VPN extends a private network across a public network, such as the Internet. It enables a computer to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if it were directly connected to the private network, while benefiting from the functionality, security and management policies of the private network. This is done by establishing a virtual point-to-point connection through the use of dedicated connections, encryption, or a combination of the two”
Essentially, in laymans terms, a VPN is a private and secure connection that is established between your computer and another computer or network essentially connecting your computer and the other network into one.
How A VPN Works
A VPN servers acts like a friendly (and secure) middle man between you and the website you are accessing. Since the website thinks that you are located where the VPN Server is located you are easily able to virtually reside in the USA so you can access sites like Hulu, Pandora as well as the American Netflix Library all from Canada.
Why You Should Be Using a VPN on Your iPhone
The Internet can be a scary place full of people trying to steal your identity, credit card numbers or even just infect your computer with a virus for the heck of it.
Here is a short, and by no means exhausted, list of reasons why you should set up and use a VPN on your iPhone as well as at home.
- A VPN is one of the best ways to protect yourself and to hide your identity online
- A VPN allows you to navigate around the web anonymously which can be especially useful if you’re not looking to leave a footprint of your web browsing
- Your web traffic is security encrypted in a, virtually, hack-proof tunnel which makes using public WiFi hot spots much safer
- You can virtually reside in the USA and 62 other countries around the world allowing you to access geographically-based content from anywhere
- And so much more
Now that you know what a VPN is and why you should be using one, we can finally answer…
What is VPN on iPhone?
If you’re anything like me, you probably have inspected the different setting options that are available to you on your iPhone.
If you have seen the VPN option, and didn’t know what a VPN was before reading this article you might have wondered what is a VPN and why is there an option to set one up on my iPhone?!?
Now that we’ve covered what a VPN is and why you should go the extra mile to protect yourself online by using a VPN I’ll show you how to set up HMA Pro VPN on your iPhone.
Don’t worry… like most things, “there’s an app for that”.
How To Set Up a VPN on Your iPhone
Just a few months ago the steps to get a VPN setup on your iPhone were a little daunting and had lots of little steps to follow.
With the recent release of the HMA iPhone app, your job just got a LOT easier! Here are the easy steps to get HMA set up as the VPN on your iPhone (text instructions are below the image):
2. Next you will want to launch the HMA iPhone app
3. Sign into your HMA account
4. Tap “install profile”
5. Tap “install”
6. Tap “install now”
7. Make sure it says “verified” and click “done”
8. Tap “settings”
9. Tap “VPN”
10. Tap the VPN you just setup using the HMA iPhone app then tap “off” to turn the VPN on
11. Verify that it says “VPN” in the top status bar
12. Go to Safari and navigate over to www.ip-adress.com (one ‘d’) to verify your IP address is showing up in the USA
13. Enjoy using a VPN on your iPhone to access great sites that otherwise would be blocked to you in Canada (and around the World!). I’m talking about sites like the US Netflix library, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, US YouTube, Skype* and Google Voice*.
(*Skype and Google Voice are available in Canada but there are many countries around the world where Skype is not available using using a VPN to access them. )
Now that you know what is VPN on iPhone and you know how powerful having a VPN on your iPhone can be you should click here to sign up for HMA and get HMA setup on your iPhone today!